Saturday, January 29, 2011

mothers

Photobucket


This week in class, we were talking about genograms, which are a way to branch your family tree and to help see patterns.

I've always known I was a carbon copy of my mom, and very similar to my grandma. Here were the similarities that popped into my head between the three of us that I jotted down in class:

Mom and Grandma
The way they say the word "him"

Me, Mom, and Grandma
not being able to do dishes/clean the kitchen without a towel over our shoulder
*Grandma used to tell me the story of how, when I was about two or three, she asked me to help do dishes or cook or something and I said, "Just a minute Grandma," and grabbed a towel, threw it over my shoulder, and said, "Okay Grandma, I'm ready!"
Photobucket

Me and Mom
Look exactly the same. Always have. (see the very first picture on this post or subsequent pictures if you have doubts)
Worlds biggest worriers


Photobucket

Photobucket
So I was thinking about the unconscious attributes, the parts of my character and personality, that I learned from my mom. And then I started thinking about an excerpt from Elder Maxwell's book "Things as They Really Are," where he tells us that our entity/intelligence/essence has been the same since the premortal existence and how part of our mortal character is derived from what we learned before we came to this world.

As I thought about the things I have learned from my mother in my 20 (relatively) short years with her, I kind of got a little choked up as I wondered to myself what attributes I have that I inherited from my Heavenly Mother. I thought to some of the things from my patriarchal blessing, "a great capacity to love," "desire to serve others"...things like that. I choose to believe those are the things I got from Her. The best parts about me.

1 comment:

  1. Hailee, You are such a precious, righteous daughter. And while I would like to take credit for some of your best attributes, the truth is that you have been delightful from the time of your birth! I feel very blessed to have the privilege of being your mother, and hope to always be worthy of your admiration and trust. Thank you for always sharing your heart with me!
    I'm sorry you got my hair!!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Make sure your messages are kind to everyone or I will feed you to my pet hippogriff